David is a trainee Solicitor within the Sports Law, Criminal Law & Motoring Law departments at CM Solicitors. Graduating in Law with honors from the University of Birmingham in 2011, David did not follow the conventional route and combined his skills acquired whilst at University with his passion for football. This passion led him to qualify as a Licensed Football Agent in 2012, becoming one of the youngest, practicing agents in the UK.
David graduated from Manchester’s BPP Law School with a commendation whilst achieving distinctions in Commercial Law and Intellectual Property, Advanced Commercial Litigation and Employment Law.
He has been instructed by a number of high profile clients within the sports industry. David regularly advises football clubs, coaches and agents on a wide range of legal issues, including the FIFA and FA Regulations.
He has a wealth of knowledge with regards to commercial contracts, player contracts, transfer agreements, image rights, criminal, regulatory and employment issues in sport. David also operates as a FA Registered Intermediary representing a number of professional football players.
David is often sought after by national and international media outlets for his views and opinions on Football Law issues. A list of his most notable media contributions can be seen below.
David is also an integral member of the CM Solicitor’s nationally regarded Criminal Law Department. David regularly assists on complex Crown Court cases. He is well respected by his clients who appreciate his personable approach in conference, as well as his diligent and inventive approach to analysing cases. David has secured a number of acquittals in his career to date and always works as hard as he can to ensure his clients get the best possible result available
David has also assisted Ben Richardson on some of the most high profile Criminal Law cases in the country over the last few years. He has worked on high profile murder, drug and fraud cases. He also works on Criminal Appeals under the tutelage of Jeremy Moore, who represented Barry George, who was famously acquitted of the murder of popular TV presenter Jill Dando.
Finally, as part of his broad role at CM Solicitors, David also advises clients on Motoring Law issues. David and his colleagues have built up a strong relationship with a number of barristers’ chambers, giving his clients exceptional representation for motoring offences at an affordable price.
High Profile Sports Law Work
- Advising Mansa Sports Management and Moussa Dembélé on his transfer to Celtic FC
- Advising Oxford United FC on the sale of Kemar Roofe to Leeds United FC
- Advising a Championship footballer on his release and subsequent settlement package
- Advising Oldham Athletic FC on a wide range of legal issues, including player sales and managerial appointments
- Advising a Football League Club on FA Rule K Arbitration
- Incorporating an image rights structure for a Premier League and International Footballer
- Securing full payment of an overdue intermediary fee of €50,000 for a high profile client
- Advising professional rugby league players on contractual matters with a Super League Rugby
High Profile Criminal Law Work
R v M – Gang land murder in prison
R v C – Greater Manchester Police’s biggest murder investigation in 10 years.
R v H – Acquittal for rape
R v B – Attempted murder dropped down to a s.18
R v A – £80 million pound Proceeds of Crime case
R v S – Threats to kill
R v F – Acquittal for Robbery
R v M – Acquittal for Arson
R v P – Acquittal for affray and possession of an offensive weapon
R v K – Gang land murder in Liverpool
R v H – Gang land murder in Manchester
R v H – Robbery dropped down to affray
R v C – Section 18 defence for notorious terrorist and prisoner.
Notable Media Contributions
- The Daily Telegraph “The rise of the rogue football agent”
- BBC Sport Website “Premier League champions ‘could be worth £200m”
- BBC Sport Website “Transfer deadline day: 10 ways to get a good deal”
- BBC Sport Website “Deadline day: The ins and outs of a transfer request”
- BBC Sport Website “Football agent rule changes ‘could leave young players exploited”
- BBC Radio Berkshire – Interview by Paul Ross on the ‘Fifa Corruption Scandal”
- BBC Radio 5 Live – Interview by Adrian Chiles regarding “Transfer Deadline Day”
- Daily Mail – Discussion of increased transfer fees
- BBC World Service – Discussion about Transfer Deadline Day
“I instructed David of CM Solicitors to draft a number of key agreements that were necessary in aiding the growth of Lilywhite Sports Group. I am really pleased with the quality of work provided and I know that David is always on the end of the phone whenever I need him.”
Scott O’Donoghue – Head of Football Operations, Lilywhite Sports Group
“We have instructed CM Solicitors on a number of occasions over the last few years. David and Jeremy are always on hand to offer expeditious and sound advice on a wide variety of issues.”
Neil Joy – Chief Executive, Oldham Athletic AFC
“I was owed a substantial sum of money from a football club in Asia. This unpaid invoice was owed in relation to a player transfer I had completed the previous summer. I instructed David to retrieve what was owed to my company. His tactics and knowledge meant that we were successful. I would definitely recommend his services to any Intermediary in the same situation as me.”
Mamadi Fofana – Mansa Sports Management
“ I instructed David of CM Solicitors in relation to a sensitive and urgent matter crucial to our season. I was impressed by David’s desire to help as well as the expeditious nature by which he conducted the work. David produced an appeal document to go in front of the Football Association Governance Committee that was legal work of the highest quality.”
Rocky McMillan – Chairman, Glebe FC
“David was recommended to me by another agent and over the past year or so I have approached him with various legal issues on behalf of my players, he is always happy to help and his advice at times has been invaluable. I would definitely recommend his services!”
Liam Bowes – Managing Director, OYS Sports Management
“We sought advice in relation to an urgent matter regarding one of our players that needed to be resolved that day. Jeremy and David were on hand to deliver expeditious and sound legal advice. Thank you.”
Russ MacFarlane – Managing Director, Salford Red Devils Rugby League
Should you wish to contact David with regard to a Sports Law or Criminal Law issue his email address is firstname.lastname@example.org